L U C K


L U C K |  22/12/17

Today I want to talk about the idea of luck. From a very young age, I can remember being aware of the idea of superstitions. The basics: breaking a mirror is seven years bad luck, you cannot possibly walk under a ladder, etc. Of course, these are just harmless old wives tales for the most part.

Yet I can not pinpoint the moment when I started creating my own ‘superstitions’. The idea that if there was still water draining from the bath when I was in the room, that was ‘bad luck’ - or that if I wear certain items of clothing I will certainly have a bad day. As I dealt with poor mental health further into my teens, these things became more important. To avoid ‘bad luck’ was even more important when everything around me seemed so horrible.

I still don’t really know how to justify these little quirks and superstitions. Of course, an OCD diagnosis has been banded around - but it has never felt that intrusive to my life, and until that point comes, I don’t see the harm or need for ‘treatment’.

I have a very clear understanding of how ridiculous superstitions are. Yet ask me to walk under a piece of scaffolding and I will go cold for fear of making something bad happen. But the thing is, keeping an eye on these things makes me feel better. For the moment feeling like I have some vague control over my own ‘luck’ makes me feel more in control of my life.

As I write this post I can see just how crazy it could all sound. But I think it is important to remember that we all have quirks and sometimes that is okay.

In a world where so much is happening every day that is out of our control, it is little wonder that we have a ‘lucky tie’ or are avoiding that ladder in the street. Luck makes us feel hopeful and like something is looking after us.

So today, I want to wish you all good luck. But I also want to remind you that we create our own luck. You’ve got this ❤️

No comments